Sunday, April 1, 2012

defending your dinner

In this article by the New York Times, writer Ariel Kaminer touches on the topic of meat ethics - that is, whether or not eating meat ethical.

Image by Russell Bell
I've never been a crazed meat lover, but vegetarian lifestyle has also never appealed to me since that would mean giving up the beloved Dutch's burger or Buffalo Bros chicken fingers. I guess it's fair to say I've never questioned the ethics of meat eating before reading this article.

Although I have the utmost respect for all those who are vegetarian or vegan, I do believe that the omnivorous lifestyle is the most balanced for humans. I would hope production of these meats would meet ethical standards - that the animals have lived in comfortable conditions & have been fed healthy produce during their growth (unfortunately this is generally not the case).

I believe humans survive best with meats in their diets, but do acknowledge that there are valid substitutes for us omnivores. Perhaps consumption of meat is part of the natural order...that's some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment