Monday, March 5, 2012

40 days sans facebook

After much discussion about the role technology plays into our daily lives in Media Ethics class, I decided to relieve a bit of my connectedness...how so? Well, I am not using Facebook for the complete 40 days of Lent.

I have only been without Facebook for a week, and have already noticed many interesting things happening in my mind. To start off, I have a lot more free time - what does one do when they cannot "spy" on their friends and acquaintances?

Secondly, my iPhone is used significantly less now than it was prior Lent. My lack of Facebook use has turned into a general lack of social media usage. I haven't felt like checking Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc as much as I did before.

Thirdly, I have found myself wanting to share tidbits of my daily life on Facebook...then I realize I cannot do so, & feel discontent about it. I have so many other outlets I can use to share my life - Blogger, email, a cell phone - and yet, I have discovered that I've been limiting myself to Facebook. What is so appealing to share something publicly? Is it to show others how "great" my life is? Is it to feel connected to people I sometimes rarely talk to?

The general answer to these questions is yes - yes I want people to know the good in my life, and yes, it is gratifying to feel connected to others. But after this conclusion, I find it sad that I resort to an online site to assist me in these actions. I have felt a sort of relief that I do not have to "keep appearances" on my Facebook, and it has been a sort of cleansing. I live more in the present, and not so much in a cyber world.

Week one sans Facebook has been entrusting and surprisingly enjoyable. I highly recommend it if you are feeling bogged down with technology!

1 comment: